The JEST-2011 (written test) will be held on
Monday, December 6, 2010
Joint Entrance Screening Test – 2011 (PhD), THE INSTITUTE OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
Joint Entrance Screening Test – 2011
THE INSTITUTE OF MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
(An autonomous body under the Department ol Atomic Energy Government ol
) CIT CAMPUS, THARAMANI, CHENNAI - 600113, India INDIA
1. ARIES: Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital: Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Atmospheric Physics.
2. HBNI: Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai, a Deemed University.
3. HRI: Harish-Chandra Research Institute,
: Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics. Allahabad
4. IGCAR: Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam: Materials Science, Condensed Matter (Experimental and Theoretical), Radiation Damage and Accelerator-based Research, Sensors and Applications, Science and Technology of Nanomaterials, Computational Materials Science, Reactor Physics, Radiation Physics and Atmospheric Science.
5. IIA: Indian
, Institute of Astrophysics : Astronomy and Astrophysics, Astronomical Instrumentation, Optics, and Atomic Physics. Bangalore
6. IISc: Indian Institute of Science,
: Condensed Matter Physics (Experiments and Theory), Astronomy and Astrophysics (Theoretical), Atomic and Optical Physics (Experimental), Biocrystallography and Bio-informatics, and High Energy Physics (Theoretical). Bangalore
7. IISER MOHALI: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali: Quantum Theory, Quantum Information Processing, NMR-Methodology, Optics, Statistical Mechanics, Quantum Thermodynamics, Non-linear Dynamics, String Theory, Ultrafast Physics, and Low Temperature Mesoscopic Physics.
8. IISER PUNE: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune: Field Theory, Theoretical Particle Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Non-linear Dynamics, Complex Systems and Networks, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Quantum Information Processing, Radio Astrophysics, Atomic Physics and Quantum Optics, Energy Studies, Solar and Plasma Physics, Nanosciences, Scanning Probe Techniques, and Semiconductor Physics and Devices.
9. IISER THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram: Experimental Condensed Matter: Magnetic and Superconducting materials, Nanoscience and Energy materials, Photonics, Soft Condensed Matter, Semiconductor Physics and Devices, Surface Sciences and Nano-scale Plasmonics, Terahertz and Ultrafast Spectroscopy; Theory: Cosmology, Classical and Quantum Gravity, Gravitational Wave Physics, Quantum Information Theory, Quantum Field Theory, and Statistical Physics.
10. IMSc: The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai: Theoretical Physics, and Theoretical Computer Science.
11. IOP: Institute of Physics,
: Physics (Condensed Matter, Nuclear and High Energy Physics) and Accelerator-based Research. Bhubaneswar
12. IPR: Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar: Physics (Experimental and Theoretical).
13. IUCAA: Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune: Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics.
14. JNCASR: Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research,
: Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Statistical Mechanics, and Materials Science. Bangalore
15. NCRA-TIFR: National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune: Astronomy and Astrophysics.
16. NISER: National Institute of Science Education and Research,
: Theoretical High Energy Physics and Lattice QCD, Experimental High Energy Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiment), Optics and Metamaterials. Bhubaneswar
17. PRL: Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad: Theoretical Physics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, Solar Physics, Space and Atmospheric Sciences, Planetary Science and Geo-Sciences.
18. RRCAT: Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology,
: Lasers and their Applications, Laser Plasma Interaction, Cold Atom Physics, Condensed Matter Physics (Superconductivity and Magnetism, Indore and Thin Films), Nanomaterials and Applications, Non-linear and Ultrafast Optical Studies, Beam Physics, and Free Electron Laser. Crystals
19. RRI: Raman Research Institute,
: Astronomy and Astrophysics, Light and Matter Physics, Soft Condensed Matter Physics (Liquid Crystals, Physics in Biology), and Theoretical Physics. Bangalore
20. SINP: Saha
, Kolkata: Condensed Matter Physics (Theory and Experiments), Nuclear Physics (Theory and Experiments), High Energy Physics (Theory and Experiments), Astroparticle Physics, Quantum Gravity, String Theory, Mathematical Physics, and Materials Sciences (Surface Science and Plasma Physics). Institute of Nuclear Physics
21. SNBNCBS: Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata: Astrophysics and Cosmology, Chemical and Biological Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, High Energy Physics and Quantum Field Theory, Mathematical Physics, Nanosciences, Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Statistical Physics, and Complex Systems.
22. UGC-DAE CSR: UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore: Surfaces, Interfaces, Thin Films and Nanomaterials, Physics at Low Temperatures and High Magnetic Fields, X-ray, Optical and Electron Spectroscopic Studies Using Synchrotron and Laboratory Sources; Electrical, Magnetic and Thermal Properties of Condensed Matter; Condensed Matter studies using Magnetic Neutron Diffraction, Nuclear Technique Based Condensed Matter Physics-Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy, Mossbauer Spectroscopy, Experimental Nuclear Physics, Gamma Ray Spectroscopy of Nuclear High Spin States, and Nuclear Reactions.
23. VECC: Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata: Accelerator Physics, Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science, Nuclear Physics (Experiments and Theory), Relativistic Heavy Ion Collisions (Experiments, Theory, QCD and QGP), and Physics of Neutrinos (Experiments).
Eligibility: Students who expect to complete their final examination by August 2011 are also eligible to apply.
Physics: M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines. Candidates with M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation /
Electronics will also be considered at IIA. Graduates with a B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune and SNBNCBS.
BE/BTech/BCA/BSc students can also apply for the integrated MSc-PhD programme, see below. In addition, talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. (in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics) students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA. Similar pre-selection is open at SNBNCBS for candidates who also have specialization in Bio-Physics, Optics and Opto-Electronics. At IPR, candidates should have a Master's degree in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics. Visit websites of participating institutes for further details.
Theoretical Computer Science: M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details.
Integrated M.Sc./M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme: At HRI, IISER Pune, NCRA-TIFR and SNBNCBS, candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc. – Ph.D. programme in Physics. At IMSc, graduates with B.Sc. / B.E. / B. Tech. degree will also be considered for admission to M.Sc. (Research) programme in Physics and Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics/Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in subject areas mentioned above. At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered.
Integrated M.Tech– Ph.D. Programme at IIA: Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc (Hons) B.Tech in Optics and Photonics, Radiophysics and Electronics / B.E. / B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered. Visit IIA website for details.
Test Centres: Ahmedabad, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bardhaman, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Madurai, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nainital, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Roorkee, Sambalpur, Silchar, Siliguri, Thiruvananthapuram, Udaipur and Visakhapatnam.
How to apply: Candidates are requested to apply ON-LINE (preferably) for JEST - 2011 by visiting the web site http://jest2011.imsc.res.in However, application forms can also be obtained by writing to: The Registrar, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, CIT Campus, Tharamani, Chennai - 600113. Tamil Nadu. For detailed information, please visit http://jest2011.imsc.res.in
Website opening and on-line submission of applications will be available from
December 1, 2010 at http://jest2011.imsc.res.in
Request for printed application forms should reach The Registrar, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, GIT Campus, Tharamani, Chennai - 600113. Tamil Nadu by
December 20, 2010
Last date for receipt of the filled applications, and ON-LINE submission of applications, is
January 3, 2011.
The JEST-2011 (written test) will be held on